Eyebrow Tinting vs. MicrobladingSeptember 8, 2023
Helping You Make The Best Decision For Your Brows
There are a handful of treatments available to help you achieve well-defined and groomed eyebrows — without the daily hassle and pains of plucking at home. Two of the most popular options that often take center stage are microblading and eyebrow tinting. Both methods offer distinct benefits and cater to different goals.
What Is The Difference Between Eyebrow Tinting & Microblading?
Eyebrow tinting offers a temporary solution that enhances color and shape without the commitment of a long-lasting procedure. Microblading provides semi-permanent, precise results suitable for those looking to achieve fuller and more defined eyebrows. The choice between these techniques depends on your personal preferences, desired results and willingness to commit to maintenance.
“The difference is great because with tinting, you are only depositing color on the hair that is there. If there is no hair, you can’t tint the eyebrows. Microblading is structurally changing the eyebrows — shape, color and density. If there is no hair, microblading makes it appear like there is because it is artistically created and bladed into the skin.”
Microblading: Precise & Semi-Permanent Brow Enhancement
Microblading — sometimes referred to as “eyebrow tattooing” — involves using a fine blade to make tiny incisions in the skin, depositing pigment into the superficial layers of the epidermis. This approach creates natural-looking hair strokes that mimic the appearance of real eyebrows.
Considerations: Not Many Providers & A Longer Healing Process
Microblading requires a skilled licensed provider to achieve realistic and symmetrical results. The healing process typically involves light scabbing and the initial color may appear darker before settling into a natural shade.
The Benefits Of Microblading:
- Provides precise control over the shape and thickness of brows
- Provides balance and fullness to sparse or uneven brows
- Semi-permanent results that last around 1 – 3 years depending on individual factors and aftercare; touch-up sessions may be necessary during this time to maintain results
“To offer microblading as a service, you must first find the best certification course that speaks to you. Once certified, you then practice your craft until you perfect it and only then work on a real client. You also have to apply for a Tattoo License, which includes an annual course surrounding bloodborne pathogen protection and a CPR course every 2 years.”
Eyebrow Tinting: Providing Desired Definition & Color
Eyebrow tinting is a temporary aesthetic treatment that involves applying semi-permanent dye to the eyebrows to achieve a greater aesthetic result. The dye actually tints both the brow hairs and the skin, successfully enhancing the overall color and definition in one treatment.
Considerations: Cannot Address Root Cause & Requires Touch-Ups
Tinting is limited to enhancing existing brow hairs and creating the look of fuller brows but does not address gaps or missing hair. The final color result can vary based on individual hair and skin characteristics. This treatment also requires regular touch-up sessions to maintain the ideal tinted effect.
The Benefits Of Eyebrow Tinting:
- Offers a quick and non-invasive aesthetic solution, with the average procedure taking only 15-20 minutes to complete
- Adds depth to lighter brows, making them appear more pronounced
- Provides enhancement of color and shape for about 4 – 6 weeks; this allows the patient to decide if a more permanent solution is ideal or if they want to continue with temporary treatments
What Is The Best Solution For You?
Microblading Might Be Ideal If:
- You desire a more permanent solution with longer-lasting results
- You have sparse or uneven eyebrows that need substantial filling in
- You’re willing to invest in a procedure that requires initial healing time and potential touch-ups
Eyebrow Tinting Might Be Ideal If:
- You want a quicker and non-permanent enhancement to your brow color
- You’re looking for a subtle change in your eyebrow appearance
- You prefer a less invasive procedure with minimal downtime
About The Author
Tatjana Dzamov is the senior medical aesthetician at Donaldson Plastic Surgery in Columbus, Ohio. As a pillar of our medspa, Tatjana is uniquely licensed in the art of tattooing, allowing her to offer both microblading treatments and eyebrow tinting. She is constantly perfecting her craft in an effort to assist her patients along their self-confidence journeys.
“When it comes to microblading, I am a perfectionist and I don’t do ‘cookie-cutter brows.’ I work with each patient’s bone structure and create the best shape that would complement their face. I follow protocol and don’t take shortcuts!”