If you’re seeking a way to combat sagging or asymmetrical breasts, a breast lift—also known as mastopexy—may be a procedure worth considering. Whether you have noticed changes due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight fluctuations, aging, or heredity, a breast lift can rejuvenate your figure with a more youthful and perky breast profile.
At Donaldson Plastic Surgery in Columbus, OH, you can expect to receive safe, personalized care and natural results. From the initial consultation through recovery, Dr. Donaldson and his team of surgical specialists provide a friendly and welcoming environment, while working to exceed patients’ expectations. To gain a first-hand understanding of what Dr. Donaldson can do for you, please contact our office to schedule a consultation. For more information about breast lift surgery, please review the following.
What is a Breast Lift?
A breast lift is a plastic surgical procedure designed to correct sagging and asymmetrical breasts, diminished volume, and drooping or stretched areolas. The operation moves the breast tissue higher on the chest, tightens loose skin, raises the nipple, decreases the width of the areola and improves symmetry. In cases where there is too much or too little volume, patients may consider a breast reduction or augmentation in addition to the lift procedure.
Is Breast Lift Surgery Right For You?
Several factors determine whether you are a viable candidate for mastopexy:
- You maintain a stable weight and are physically healthy
- You are a non-smoker
- You are self-conscious about the shape, position, or volume of your breasts
- Your breasts are pendulous or elongated in shape
- Your nipples sit below the breast crease without proper support
- Your areolas and nipples point downward
- Your areolas are enlarged and your skin is stretched
- Your breasts are not symmetrical
The decision to undergo breast lift surgery is personal, and should not be influenced by someone else’s desires, or made in an effort to reflect some “ideal” image. Candidacy is determined on a patient-by-patient basis, and Dr. Donaldson will evaluate your aesthetic goals and physical health during your visit before discussing possible solutions.
What Should I Expect During My Breast Lift Consultation?
Your consultation with Dr. Donaldson will cover your medical history, physical exam, goals, expectations, and concerns. Dr. Donaldson will perform a breast exam and take a series of photographs and measurements. Be sure to communicate any previous surgery, medical issues, hospitalizations, medications, and allergies, as well as the results of any mammograms or other breast studies. You may be asked to seek pre-operative clearance from your primary care physician, or other specialists. These records and referrals are used to ensure the safest possible outcome, and will always be held in the highest confidence.
Dr. Donaldson will introduce a spectrum of treatment options, and you will discuss the potential benefits and risks associated with each procedure. Together, you will create a customized plan. Dr. Donaldson may recommend additional procedures, depending on your individual goals and body type. Common supplementary procedures include breast reduction or augmentation (placement of breast implants). You will review sample photographs to illustrate realistic outcomes of these procedures.
To conclude your consultation, our medical staff will provide a quote for estimated costs and potential scheduling options. Our patient coordinator can help you arrange for financing and payment plans if desired.
What Questions Should I Ask My Surgeon About Breast Lift Surgery?
Once you have decided to move forward with your breast lift surgery, you may want to ask the following questions:
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Is your training specific to the plastic surgery field?
- How many years of surgical training did you complete?
- Do you possess hospital privileges to perform this procedure?
- How and where will the procedure be performed?
- What surgical technique would you recommend for my situation?
- What should I expect during recovery?
- Following surgery, will I require additional help at home?
- What types of complications and risks are associated with this procedure?
- Will my ability to breastfeed be affected?
- How should I expect the results to appear in years to come, or after pregnancy?
- What options are available, should I be dissatisfied with the outcome of my procedure?
- Can I view before and after photos of similar patients?
- Are my expectations reasonable?
Dr. Donaldson will be sure to address all of your questions and concerns during the initial consultation. We believe that patients who are more informed prior to surgery are more satisfied with their end results.
How Should I Prepare For My Breast Lift Procedure?
Breast Lift Words To Know
The following terms can help you to gain a better understanding of the breast lift procedure before your initial consultation:
- Areola: Pigmented skin surrounding the nipple.
- Breast Augmentation: Also known as augmentation mammoplasty, breast implants, or breast enlargement by surgery.
- Breast Lift: Also known as mastopexy; surgery to lift the breasts.
- Excision: Surgical removal of tissue.
- General Anesthesia: Systemic medications and/or gases used during an operation to keep a patient “asleep” and pain-free during surgery.
- Intravenous Sedation: Medication administered through an IV to promote Relaxation.
- Local Anesthesia: Numbing medication injected directly at the site of an incision during an operation to avoid pain.
- Mammogram: An x-ray image of the breast.
- Mastopexy: Surgery to lift the breasts.
- Sutures: Stitches used by surgeons to hold skin and tissue together.
Are There Any Risks with Breast Lift Surgery?
A risk/benefit analysis should always inform a decision about whether to have surgery. The risks associated with a mastopexy include:
- Anesthesia complications
- Bleeding (hematoma)
- Poor healing of incisions, or prominent scarring
- Changes in breast or nipple sensation
- Breast shape or contour irregularities
- Breast asymmetry
- Dead tissues (fat or skin necrosis)
- Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- Loss of areola or nipple—partial or total
- Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots)
- The possibility of revision surgery
Though these complications are uncommon, it’s important to understand the full spectrum of possible outcomes. As with any major procedure, the chances for complications are significantly lowered when you choose a board-certified plastic surgeon. Additionally, Dr. Donaldson is happy of cover the many precautions taken to avoid such issues, and is fully trained and prepared to help you should they occur.
About The Breast Lift Procedure
The precise technique used in your breast lift surgery will be determined by several factors, including:
- Breast size and shape
- The position and size of your areolas
- The degree of breast sagging
- Skin quality and elasticity as well as the amount of extra skin
- Minor elevations may be accomplished through a curved incision that traces the top edge of the nipple-areola complex (NAC).
- Moderate elevations are created through a “lollipop” incision around the NAC and down to the bottom of the breast in a vertical line.
- Dramatic lifts are possible when a “lollipop” incision is combined with a horizontal incision beneath the breast.
In all cases, the NAC is repositioned higher, excess skin is removed, and the breast is reshaped with more pleasing contours.
What Will Breast Lift Recovery Be Like?
- Oral or topical medications to reduce the risk of infection
- Homeopathic remedies to decrease swelling and bruising and relieve pain
- How to observe the surgical site to know it is properly healing
- How to optimize your general health
- Cleaning and dressing instructions
- When and how to contact Dr. Donaldson and his staff
Overall, listen to what your body tells you. Light physical activity can generally be resumed as healing progresses. Avoid pushing yourself back into the gym, and opt instead for a brisk walk around the block. More strenuous exercises should not be attempted without clearance from Dr. Donaldson, and are typically permitted after four to six weeks.
Breast Lift Financing
Financing doesn’t have to be a stressful ordeal. At Donaldson Plastic Surgery in Columbus, OH, our staff is committed to providing patients with the information and resources needed to ensure a convenient and personalized payment plan.
Please contact us today to discuss your available financing options. Our patient coordinator is happy to help with loan applications and make introductions to established credit and banking institutions.
Why Choose Dr. Donaldson?
Schedule A Breast Lift Consultation
Still looking for answers? Contact our offices today to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Donaldson.